A. Scott Bolden is a prominent trial and white collar defense lawyer to whom companies and individuals turn for representation in their most significant concerns. Scott has handled some of the most high-profile matters for elected officials, business leaders, athletes and entertainers, in and outside the Nation’s Capital and is very comfortable handling such matters on the national stage. He is particularly adept at assisting clients in navigating crises that present significant legal, business and reputational risks. Scott previously served as managing partner of the Washington, D.C., office, and as an At-Large Member on the Executive Committee of the firm.
As part of his multifaceted litigation practice, Scott has defended clients in local and federal courts in connection with civil RICO claims; fraud, including health care fraud, and breach of contract; False Claims Act violations; education matters; government contract claims and disputes; tort claims; and other commercial and regulatory litigation issues.
With respect to his white collar criminal defense practice, Scott has defended individuals and corporate clients in state and federal trials and grand jury proceedings in connection with money laundering, federal and state tax fraud, bank fraud, financial structuring, and other white collar criminal issues; conducted internal investigations for major public and private corporations; conducted SEC investigations and prosecutions, as well as corporate compliance with the Federal Sentencing Guidelines, the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act; and defended witnesses in depositions before House and Senate investigation committees.
For his work in defending his clients, Scott was recognized by his alma mater, Howard University, with the 2013 Distinguished Alumni Award in the Field of Law. Scott has also been inducted into the Washington Bar Association Hall of Fame, been named one of the 100 most influential lawyers in law and business by Savoy magazine and the American Business Journals, and Rainmaker of Year by the Minority Corporate Counsel Association. He is also a former recipient of the Washington Business Journal's Top Lawyer in the White Collar Crime category.
- Howard University School of Law, 1987, J.D., Received a number of awards and scholarships
- Morehouse College, 1984, B.A., Received a number of awards and scholarships
Professional Admissions & Qualifications
- District of Columbia
- New York
- Supreme Court - United States
- U.S. District Court - Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court - District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court - Eastern District of Michigan
- National Bar Association Political Action Committee—Chairman, Board of Directors (2017)
- Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies – Member, Board of Governors (2013 - present)
- Legal Aid Society of the District of Columbia – Member, Board of Directors (2012 - 2015)
- Economic Club of Washington, D.C. – Member (1998 - present)
- Harvard Law School – Trial Adjunct Professor (2019 - present)
- Howard University School of Law – Member, Board of Visitors (2011 - present)
- Federal City Council - Member, Executive Board (2008 - 2013)
- Candidate for D.C. Council, At Large (2006)
- Individual Development Corporation – Board of Directors (1999 - 2013)
- D.C. Chamber of Commerce – Former Member, Board of Directors (1998 - 2013)
- D.C. Chamber of Commerce – Former Chairman (1998)
- District of Columbia Bar – Board of Governors (1999 - 2003)
- D.C. Chamber of Commerce Political Action Committee – Chairman (2000-2002)
- D.C. Democratic State Committee – Former Chair (2002 - 2004)
- D.C. Water and Sewer Authority – Former Board Member (1998 - 2002)
- District Court of the District of Columbia's Committee on Grievances – Member (1998 - 2003)
- Sequoia National Bank – Former Director (1998 - 2004)
- Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. (Life Member)