Andrena L. Stone is of counsel with the firm focusing on Education Law, Special Education and Labor and Employment Law.
Ms. Stone helps Alaska schools resolve challenging labor disputes, receive better funding, and remain compliant with changing state and federal laws. She has a direct impact on Alaska public education, helping draft state legislative changes and annually reviewing and revising school policy manuals. She is an excellent communicator and a passionate expert in Alaska’s K-12 education issues.
Ms. Stone’s experience includes:
- Successfully defending an Alaska school district in an appeal to the Alaska Supreme Court challenging the district’s “best interest” decision to change its transportation provider.
- Expanding the construction funding available to rural school districts by obtaining a ruling declaring the existing funding system to be unconstitutional.
- Obtaining summary judgment for various school districts in multiple cases involving employment discrimination, school district immunity, defamation, and intentional infliction of emotional distress.
- Annually reviewing and revising the policy reference manual used by the majority of Alaska’s school boards to maintain compliance with changing state and federal laws.
- Representing numerous school districts on a broad range of matters including statutory and regulatory compliance, employment matters, labor negotiations, employee grievance arbitrations, certificated and classified staff discipline and termination, drafting and revising school board policy, student discipline, special education requirements, EEO investigations and appeals, and defense of personal injury and employment related litigation.
- Providing testimony and helping draft state legislative changes impacting K-12 public education.
J.D., Gonzaga University School of Law, magna cum laude, 1993
B.A., Washington State University, summa cum laude, 1990
- (907) 261- 6623