Janet brings extensive employment law expertise to Harris. She represents employers in labour grievances, complex commercial disputes, and human rights complaints.
Janet also prides herself in helping her clients solve employment issues short of litigation, minimize risk, and achieve their business goals. She has worked with employers ranging from small, family-owned businesses to international corporations to draft agreements, revise policies, develop employee trainings, manage disability accommodation requests and leaves, and conduct internal investigations.
Prior to joining Harris, Janet practiced in the United States at an Am Law Top 100 firm where she represented businesses in complex litigation relating to non-competition and non-solicitation agreements, trade secret misappropriation, contract disputes, and business torts. She defended employers against claims brought by former employees, including cases alleging discrimination, retaliation, hostile work environment, negligence, tortious interference, and defamation. Janet has represented U.S. clients before administrative agencies, in state and federal court, at jury trial, and before arbitration panels.
- Ones to Watch, Best Lawyers in America, 2021
- Minnesota Rising Star, SuperLawyers, 2017–2020
- Employment Law Implications of Coronavirus, Minnesota State Bar Association, April 2020
- Coronavirus in the Workplace, Rounds #1 and #2, Independent Community Bankers’ Association, March 2020
- Employment Law Case Law Updates, Minnesota Defense Lawyers Association, July 2019
- Preparing for Duluth, Minnesota’s Sick and Safe Time Ordinance Taking Effect January 1, 2020, Jackson Lewis, October 2, 2019
- Minnesota Adds New Wage Payment and Recordkeeping Requirements; Criminalizes ‘Wage Theft’, June 20, 2019
- Non-Minneapolis Employers Must Comply with Minneapolis Paid Sick Leave Law, Appeals Court Rules, Jackson Lewis, May 21, 2019
Professional & Community Activities
- Member, Canadian Bar Association, BC Branch
- Member, Minnesota Stata Bar Association, 2013–present
- Global Lawyers of Canada, 2020
- 604 891 2236