After graduating from Brooklyn Law School, Julie began her legal career as an Assistant District Attorney in Kings County, Brooklyn, where she investigated and prosecuted hundreds of criminal cases and quickly earned a reputation as a tough and tenacious trial attorney. While in the office, Julie was lead counsel in over 60 felony jury trials that involved a wide variety of crimes, from drug offenses to sex crimes to homicides. Julie quickly rose to the level of Senior Trial Attorney and was eventually promoted to the elite Homicide Bureau where she became the Deputy Bureau Chief. She handled many high profile cases, including:
- The abduction and brutal murder of eight-year-old Leiby Kletzky
- The stabbing death of New York City bus driver Edwin Thomas by a passenger (Edwin’s murder and the subsequent conviction of his assailant led to upgrades in the safety protocols of city buses)
- The murder for hire of Dwayne Burnett at the hands of his “best friend,” Ragene Powell Dickerson
Additionally, while working as a prosecutor, Julie also taught Criminal Procedure as an Adjunct Law professor at Brooklyn Law School. Julie then opened her own practice, the Law Offices of Julie Rendelman, LLC. Julie’s vast experience as a prosecutor has given her a unique first-hand perspective of how prosecutors develop and investigate their cases, which is key to mounting a strong defense.
Julie was admitted to the New York State Bar in 1993. She is currently admitted to practice law in all boroughs of New York City as well as the Southern, Eastern, and Western District Courts of New York and the Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. She is an active member of the New York City Bar Association. She is also a member of the New York State Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers and the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, organizations dedicated to ensuring justice and due process for persons accused of crimes and other misconduct.
Julie Rendelman’s numerous awards include:
- America's Top 50 Lawyers - Criminal Law - New York 2021
- Top 100, The National Trial Lawyers 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
- Top 1%, National Association of Distinguished Counsel
- Superb Rating (10.0/10.0), Avvo
- Lawyers of Distinction 2018, 2019
- Top 100, America’s Top 100 Attorneys 2018, 2019
- Client’s Choice Award, AVVO, 2017
- Top Contributor, Avvo, 2015
- Kings County District Attorney’s Office Alumnae Association’s Distinguished Service Award, 2012
If you have used Julie Rendelman's services, please leave a review. Thanks!