Sarah M. M. Duckham is a Shareholder with Trow & Rahal in Washington, DC. She has been practicing immigration law since 2000, with an emphasis on business immigration, naturalization, and citizenship law. She works with employers in industries ranging from technology to healthcare to obtain temporary work visas and green cards for their foreign workforce. She is a leader within the firm on matters concerning labor certification / PERM. practice. Relating to her citizenship practice, she works with high net worth clients and their professional advisers in integrating immigration planning with tax planning and surrendering U.S. green cards and citizenship where appropriate and desired.
Sarah graduated from the University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law in Baltimore, Maryland in 1991, where she graduated with honors and was awarded the Order of the Coif. She is a member of the District of Columbia and Maryland bars, as well as the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia. Prior to her immigration work, she was a member of the Tax Division at the U.S. Department of Justice where she prosecuted tax evasion and other tax-related financial crimes from 1992 until 1996 through their Honors Program. She earned a BBA degree from the University of Iowa in 1985.
Sarah is recognized by Best Lawyers, America’s Top Lawyers, and The International Who’s Who of Corporate Immigration Lawyers. She is a member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) and has served as site coordinator and volunteer as part of AILA’s annual naturalization day, a program providing free services to individuals seeking naturalization. She is an active member of the Maryland State Bar Association (MSBA), serving as a member of the Immigration Section Council. Sarah is also a member of the Montgomery County's Chapter of the Women's Bar Association of Maryland (WBA).
Sarah's expertise is recognized by invitations to speak at many conferences and seminars including:
- STEP Mid-Atlantic Webinar (2021)
- Maryland State Bar Association's (MSBA's) Speaker Series: Immigration Consequences in Mergers & Acquisitions (2020)
- ALI-CLE International Trust and Estate Planning Conference (2019)
- Maryland State Bar Association's (MSBA's) Yearly Legal Summit (2018)
- ALI-CLE International Trust and Estate Planning Conference (2017)
- Knowledge Congress: Compliance Issues in the Employment Eligibility Verification Form I-9 (2015)
- Stafford Hiring International Workers Continuing Legal Education (CLE) Program (2014)
- Knowledge Congress: Immigration and Compliance in 2013: What You Need to Know (2013)
- ILW Seminar concerning I-9 compliance issue in an immigration setting (2013)
- American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA): How BALCA Impacted PERM in 2012 (2013)